Total Pageviews

Drilling mud composition

Drilling mud, also known as drilling fluid, is a product which is used in the process of drilling deep boreholes. These holes may be drilled for oil and gas extraction, core sampling, and a wide variety of other reasons. The mud can be an integral part of the drilling process, serving a number of functions.
One of the most critical roles of drilling mud is as a lubricant. Drilling generates tremendous friction, which can damage the drill or the formation being drilled. Drilling mud cuts down on the friction, lowering the heat of drilling and reducing the risk of friction-related complications. The mud also acts as a carrier for the materials being drilled, with material becoming suspended in the mud and then being carried up the drill to the surface.
Using drilling mud protects the stability of a borehole by controlling variables such as friction and pressure. Different muds are needed for different circumstances, and the selection and formulation of mud is managed by a mud engineer. This engineer determines the correct viscosity level for the drilling mud, and adjusts factors such as density of the mud as well. Water, oil, and gas-based muds can all be used, with products ranging from true muds made with materials like bentonite clays to synthetic drilling fluid.
Drilling mud is recirculated throughout the drilling process. As it rises to the surface, it passes through screens which trap the materials from the borehole, before being cycled back into the system which delivers mud to the head of the drill bit. This recirculation process is designed to cut down on waste by reusing as much mud as possible. Depending on the materials being drilled, several screens may be needed to trap the materials, and sometimes the materials themselves are also coated in mud, which means that they will need to be cleaned even after filtration.

drilling fluid functions  
-cuttings removal
-suspension of cuttings
-release of cuttings at surface
-transmission of hydraulic power to the drilling bit 
-minimising formation damage
-reducting filtration rate
-cooling and the lubrication of the drill bit and drill string
-buoyancy support of the drill string
-corrosion prevention
-data logging

Table1 
Composition of a typical bentonite gel water based mud ,density 1300kg/m3.   Components added to 1 barrel of water : (bbl=barrel, pps=pounds per barrel); CMC :(carboxymethylcellulose)

component
    quantity
   Mass(kg)
  Volume(L)
   %mass
   %volume
Water
1 bbl
159
1588,99
65,33
84,92
Bentonite
20 ppb
9,1
9,07
3,73
4,85
Caustic soda
0,5 ppb
0,23
0,22
0,9
0,12
Soda ash
0,5 ppb
0,23
0,10
0,9
0,5
High viscosity cmc
1,5 ppb
0,68
0,47
0,28
0,25
Low viscosity cmc
3,5 ppb
1,59
1,09
0,65
0,58
barite
160 ppb
72,58
17,28
29,82
9,23



 Table 2
Composition of a typical oil based mud density 1318 kg/m3 , salinity 22.5%,  oil to water ratio 65:35. components combine to give a total volume of one barrel.(bbl: barrel; ppb:pounds per barrel; gpb: gallons per barrel) 


    quantity
    Mass(kg)
   volume(L)
    %mass
    %volume
Base fluid
0,5 bbl
64,63
83,31
30,37
52,40
viscosifier
5 ppb
2,26
1,40
1,08
0,88
Emulsifier 1
0,8 ppb
2,89
3,02
1,38
1,90
Emulsifier 2
0,4 ppb
1,49
1,51
0,71
0,95
Lime
5 ppb
2,26
1,00
1,08
0,63
water
0,30 ppb
47,15
47,22
22,50
29,70
Clca2
30,2 ppb
13,70
3,35
6,54
2,11
barite
167,9 ppb
76,15
18,16
36,34
11,42


25 Commentaires

Drilling mud protects the stability of a borehole by controlling variables such as friction and pressure..

November 8, 2011 at 2:26 PM  
Anonymous

Last week, I had done experiment to determine the oil based mud densities. However, the mud balance and hydrometer can't read the density.The reading show less than the scale!;which is <0.8 S.G.I need to do report on this problem. What would be the reason???

March 24, 2012 at 5:26 PM  
Anonymous

This site definitely has all of the information and facts I needed about this subject
and didn't know who to ask.

Feel free to visit my webpage; Learn More Here

June 18, 2013 at 6:52 PM  
Anonymous

For the oil based mud, why they used 2 emulsifiers.?

February 17, 2014 at 5:21 AM  
Anonymous

what is the synthetic based mud composition?

October 30, 2014 at 1:39 PM  
Anonymous

Are you required placards to haul oil based mud?

November 11, 2014 at 8:54 PM  

In Table 1, I believe the volume of water should be 158,899 L instead of 1588,99 L if the mass is 159 kg. Mass/Volume of water should be about 1 kg/L. The rest values in the table makes sense if the volume was in error instead of the mass.

March 24, 2015 at 6:05 PM  

"Visit ,Apply and Success in your Life"
Looking for a job in Dubai....Then Please visit www.gulfjob4u.com for more details....
100% Free Job Site
More than 5000 jobs
Daily Updation
Jobs Updates Dubai,Sharjah,Abu Dhabi,Al Ain,Ajman,Qatar,Doha,Saudi Arabia,Oman,Muscat,Kuwait
You will get your Dream Job Here
Visit Best website for Job

July 17, 2015 at 10:55 AM  

i am post graduate petroleum engineering student...have any possibility of getting job

September 9, 2015 at 6:35 PM  

i am post graduate petroleum engineering student...have any possibility of getting job

September 9, 2015 at 6:43 PM  

I have a table of fluid composition in inperial unit, as first column here. How to get it in SI units? bbl gives m^3, but ppb gives kg/m^3

August 19, 2016 at 11:22 PM  
Anonymous

what is a typical oil based mud viscosity??

September 30, 2016 at 3:33 AM  

Tactical Oilfield Products,strive to provide solutions thru premium products while offering the most professional, experienced & ethical service in the oil industry.
Drilling lubricants

November 28, 2016 at 11:18 AM  

I want to know that how to use this solids control in different periods for the Tactical Oilfield Products.
drilling lubricants

December 13, 2016 at 7:03 AM  

We provide the most powerful lubricants and products such as sidewinder, tactical blitz, trol, squeeze, seal, ply, etc. for efficient working of oilfield drilling and see pages.

drilling lubricants

January 2, 2017 at 11:47 AM  

Great post on drilling mud composition. It describes the drilling fluid functions and other details about drilling mud composition. Thanks for the post!

July 5, 2018 at 10:59 AM  

Good information on drilling fluid composition. People who are looking for drilling deep boreholes would find it helpful. Thanks for sharing this with us!

June 6, 2019 at 8:59 AM  

I'M NOW FULFILL FINANCIALLY BECAUSE OF THE LOAN I GOT FROM LFDS .I would like to bring this to the notice of the public about how i came in contact with Mr Benjamin after i lost my job and being denied loan by my bank and other financial institution due to my credit score. I could not pay my children's fees. I was behind on bills, about to be thrown out of the house due to my inability to pay my rent, It was during this period my kids were taken from me by foster care. Then i set out to seek for funds online where i lost $3,670 that i borrowed from friends which i was rip off by two online loan companies. Until i read about:loan online (247officedept@gmail.com) somewhere on the internet, Still wasn't convince because of what i have been through until a relative of mine who is a clergy also told me about the ongoing loan scheme  at a very low interest rate of 1.9%% and lovely repayment terms without penalty for default of payment. I have no choice than to also contact them which i did through text +1-989-394-3740 and Mr Benjamin responded back to me That day was the I'M best and greatest day of my life which can never be forgotten when i receive a credit alert of $400,000.00 Usd loan amount i applied for. I utilized the loan effectively to pay up my debts and to start up a business and today i and my kids are so happy and fulfill. You can as well contact them through email: (247officedept@gmail.com)  WhatsApptext  helpline: +1-989-394-3740 Why am i doing this? I am doing this to save as many that are in need of a loan not to be victim of scams on the internet. Thanks and God bless you all, I'm Oleksander Artem from Horizon Park BC , Ukrain.

August 29, 2020 at 6:12 PM  

Thank you for sharing this information.Diesel fuel suppliers in UAE Drilling mud is the common term for the fluid used in the process of drilling a well. Diesel trading companies in Dubai

November 3, 2020 at 1:19 PM  


Informative article. Thanks for sharing this information.
Diesel traders in UAE

December 24, 2020 at 9:15 AM  

Thanks for this post..The Drilling Fluid & Lubricants known as the mud system — is the single component of the well-construction process that remains in contact with the wellbore throughout the entire drilling operation. Drilling Fluid & Lubricants Dubai, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Africa are designed and formulated to perform efficiently under expected wellbore conditions.Drilling Fluid & Lubricants are special types of additives when mixed in drilling fluids impart lubricating properties in extreme pressure conditions.
Foundation Drilling
Drilling Rigs
Drilling Rigs Saudi Arabia
Geotechnical Consumables

November 5, 2021 at 2:02 PM  

Coal trading business

Kalyani Aditya Mineral is one of the top coal companies in India. We are a coal supplier to various countries like Russia, Indonesia, Australia, and USA Steam Coal.

January 24, 2023 at 1:06 PM  

Hello, I am here to share my testimony on how I finally joined the Illuminati brotherhood with the help of Lord Olta I am now RICH, FAMOUS, AND POWERFUL, I tried my best to become a member of the brotherhood, but I was scammed several times before I found a testimony about Lord Olta on the internet so I contacted him, I was so afraid that he would ask me for a lot of money before I could join the light, but to my greatest surprise he only asked me to buy the items I made and today I am very happy to tell the world that I am rich and have been able to build many businesses with all this I obtained an instant sum of 7 million dollars in my account and I am also known all over the world with the business. ALSO GAIN MORE POWER OVER SPIRITUAL IF YOU ARE A GAMBLER, HERE IS YOU OPPORTUNITY TO ALWAYS SEE FREE LOTTERY LUCKY NUMBERS. that the Illuminati brotherhood gave me, and I also have the power to do what I want ... I know many people may be in my lane also looking for help here you are officially free to contact Lord Olta via Email: (brotherhoodi692@gmail.com) Whats-app\call (+2348115403790) BEWARE OF SCAMMERS AND YOU MUST BE 18 YEARS OLD.























































November 6, 2023 at 11:35 AM  
Emma Daniel

Hello everyone, Experienced Hackers Services are the only true and guaranteed cryptocurrency recovery professionals. I want to tell you about how I almost had my life ruined by a man who conned me out of $135,000 after I fell for a romantic hoax. I fell for this con and it damaged my connection with my family. My life savings were stolen by a scammer I met on a dating website while he seemed to be in trouble, and I assisted him numerous times since I was continually sending money through Bitcoin. As a result, I had to declare bankruptcy. I borrowed money to help him, but I later learned that he was a con artist. After a buddy of mine showed me an article about Experienced Hackers Services Email: (experiencedhackers @gmail. com) and how they can help you recover your stolen Bitcoin from these con artists, I was able to get through everything. I got in touch with them and to my astonishment, they quickly retrieved most of what I had lost. If you find yourself in such a predicament, get in touch with them right away. via Email: (experiencedhackers @gmail. com).. All Thanks to Experienced Hackers Services.

February 1, 2024 at 4:32 AM  

If you've fallen victim to a cryptocurrency scam, there's hope for recovery with Wizard Asset Recovery. Contrary to common belief that once funds are transferred from a centralized exchange to a decentralized one or private wallet they're lost forever, companies like Wizard Asset Recovery specialize in retrieving stolen crypto.

Their experienced team of cyber experts meticulously reviews the details of your case and analyzes the scam's circumstances. This enables them to swiftly take action on your recovery case, ensuring a positive outcome and the return of your funds.

If you've been scammed by bitcoin or any fraudulent investment company, don't despair. Reach out to Wizard Asset Recovery for assistance in recovering your lost funds. Visit their website or contact them via email at Wizardassetrecovery@gmx.us and WhatsApp at +13157561228.

February 26, 2024 at 8:34 PM  

 
Template par Emmanuel Awona